CONGRATS Brent Quick (@brent_quick) you are the winner of vDestination.com’s weekly contest! Enjoy Eric Siebert’s Maximum vSphere! It’s an awesome book!
I am starting a new blog feature entitled “Contest of the Week” and will be giving away a nice prize weekly. This is the first contest giveaway and it is a great book by Eric Siebert(@ericsiebert) titled Maximum vSphere. This book is very helpful, and it will be a book that you want to keep on your desk at work, maybe even go out and buy a copy to keep at home. It does a little bit of deep dive on some of the topics, and there are also nice tips and tricks included. Simon Seagrave (@kiwi-si) has contributed two chapters to the book as well. It is a great read, and will serve to further your education and expand your knowledge base of the vSphere product suite. Thanks Eric and Simon for putting together a top-notch book. In order to enter and win the drawing you will need to subscribe to vDestination.com, follow me on twitter (if you haven’t already) and send me a tweet. The contest opens today September 8th and will run until 5pm EST September 15th. The winner will be drawn at random September 15th at 5:30pm EST. Good luck.
Best Practices, How-Tos, and Technical Deep Dives for Working VMware VI4/VI3 Pros
Maximum vSphere is the comprehensive, up-to-the-minute, working reference for everyone who plans, implements, or administers VMware virtual infrastructure. Authored by top VMware consultants, it brings together proven best practices, tips, and solutions for achieving outstanding performance and reliability in your production environment.
This book brings together crucial knowledge you won’t find anywhere else, including powerful new vSphere 4 techniques drawn from the experiences of dozens of advanced practitioners. You’ll find sophisticated, expert coverage of virtual machines, vCenter Server, networking, storage, backups, vMotion, fault tolerance, vSphere management, installation, upgrades, security, and much more.
Author Eric Siebert takes the same hands-on approach that made his VMware® VI3 Implementation and Administration so popular with working professionals. Whether you’re implementing or managing vSphere 4, upgrading from older virtualization technologies, or taking new responsibilities in any VMware environment, you’ll find this book indispensable.
* Understanding how key vSphere 4 changes affect production environments
* Working with ESX and ESXi hosts and host profiles
* Getting “under the hood” with vSphere 4 virtual machines
* Making the most of vCenter Server and plug-ins
* Choosing and configuring storage for maximum efficiency
* vSphere Networking: physical/virtual NICs, standard/distributed vSwitches, Cisco Nexus 1000V, and more
* Monitoring and troubleshooting vSphere performance: CPU, memory, disk/storage, and other issues
* Backing up and recovering VMware environments
* Using advanced features, including High Availability (HA), Distributed Resource, Distributed Power Management (DPM) and Vmotion
* Managing vSphere through the client, Web access, command line, Management Assistant, Powershell, ESX Service Console, and third-party tools
* Building your own vSphere 4 lab
* Performing more efficient installations and upgrades
Enter now to win, good luck!