Just as I release the new contest on my blog giving away a 5-user Kaviza desktop license, Kaviza releases version 3.1 of their VDI-in-a-box product. How often is a .1 that much of an upgrade from .0? This time it absolutely is worth every bit of the time and effort it takes to upgrade your current 3.0 version. The main theme of the 3.1 release is based on the addition of options in terms of end-points, to include virtual desktop operating systems, hypervisors and others.
Here are some of the key additions from the 3.1 release, taken directly from Kaviza’s 9/22 press release:
Key additions in Version 3.1 include:
• Windows 7 64-bit virtual desktops. VDI-in-a-box 3.1 provides full support for the 64-bit version of Windows 7, enabling you to setup and deploy 64-bit virtual desktops.
• Support for iPads, iPhones, Google Droid phones and a variety of devices. Kaviza runs with the native version of the Citrix receiver on all platforms enabling support for a wide variety of end-points including the Apple iPad, iPhone, Google Droid phone, a variety of thin-clients, and traditional PC and Mac desktops, laptops.
• Smart Card support including the CAC. Based on customer demand, Kaviza now supports Smart Cards seamlessly including the DOD’s Common Access Card (CAC).
• Certification with VMware ESXi 4.1. Kaviza is now certified with the newly released VMware ESX 4.1 hypervisor. With V3.1, customers can choose to deploy Kaviza on VMware ESX, ESXi Versions 3.5 or higher, or on Citrix XenServer.
• Seamless support of the Wyse Xenith client. The Wyse Xenith thin-clients can seamlessly discover and connect to Kaviza virtual desktops with the setting of one DHCP tag across a domain.
• Seamless thin-cloning on the free version of XenServer. Kaviza VDI-in-a-box 3.1 optimizes storage use with the use of thin-cloning on the free XenServer hypervisor, thus providing customers a choice of platforms without compromising performance.
• Other enhancements such as expanded policy settings for automatic desktop refresh, support for non-Windows based Active Directory systems.
Most importantly (to me at least), Kaviza is now fully certified to work in tandem with VMware ESXi 4.1 aka VMware vSphere Hypervisor. You now have the choice to deploy Kaviza on ESX/ESXi ver 3.5 and up. You can see that your end-point options have expanded exponentially. Go to Citrix, download the Citrix Receiver on any end-point without having to install any other software. Download it onto your iPad, iPhone, Wyse Xenith or Droid Phone, point it at Kaviza and access your virtual desktop.
The idea is to allow anytime, anywhere access to your virtual desktop for maximum productivity even when you are on the go. Kaviza VDI-in-a-box 3.0 a great product made even better with the release of version 3.1! Yes, this is the second straight post on Kaviza, forgive me, I’m just excited about this product and it’s ease of use, plus now you can justify owning an iPad if you haven’t bought one already. Check it out now. Also, if you haven’t already, enter my contest to win your own VDI solution from vDestination and Kaviza!